Monday, October 22, 2007

Freetown

I am here. I am safe. I am healthy. I love it. You can stop worrying.

Sorry for the long delay, but I just wanted to say that I've had a nice first week in Freetown. Training wraps up on Wednesday and then I'll travel three hours 'up-country' to my new home in Makeni. I can't wait to get started. There's far too much to tell you in one post, so I'll try to spread out the info and avoid overwhelming you.

This is where I spent my first evening in Freetown. Not bad, huh? I went to another beach yesterday that must have been paradise. Ah, the volunteer life is so tough...


I'll soon be in Makeni, far from the beach and much hotter than Freetown (and it's hot here, believe me). OK, one more photo. We took a hovercraft like the one depicted below from the airport to Freetown. I liked this painting, so there you go. The writing is in the local Krio language, which I'm just beginning to learn.


Alright, look for more soon. Hope everyone's well. Chao.

3 comments:

angie c said...

Ahhhhhhhhhhh! I'm so living through you right now. I love it! The picture is beautiful and I'm so glad you got there safely. Africa is so interesting to me, I hope to learn much more about it from your endeavors. You're in our thoughts a lot lately. Keep the updates coming. You won't overwhelm us, I promise!

Mom and Dad said...

I'm so glad to hear from you! Wow! African beaches! Who would have ever thought that you'd be there? Can't wait to hear about Makeni. Be safe and enjoy it all. Write in that journal! Love you, MOM

tamandscott said...

Your mom is cracking me up! Those pictures are beautiful, and I am really glad that you are loving it right now. I'm with Angie, keep the updates coming!